The Five Stages of Team Development
Bruce Tuckman in 1965 described 5 stages of team development or team evolution. While we have enhanced and developed these principles, these five basic stages have remained pretty much the same over the years. Those stages are Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing, Adjourning.
We follow a more our own enhanced version of the Tuckman model of team building and ensure that your team stays cohesive, efficient and shares a strong work engagement and sense of us. The five phases of team development we follow are formation, adjustment, unity and cohesion, performance maturation and enhancement, re-formulation. Our approach will boost office culture, productivity, builds core competencies, whilst also reducing stress and un-necessary conflicts.
Apart from team building, we offer other services such as professional counseling, employee relationship management, leadership effectiveness training, and more. We help you boost mental health in your office space.
What are the stages of team formation?
As discussed earlier, there are five steps of team development. Let’s discuss them.
- Formation: This stage is about team member orientation. As team members get acquainted with each other. Each person learns about each other’s, strengths and weakness and realise what they have to work with. It’s at this stage the team starts to consider the sense of team purpose and direction.
- Adjustment: As individual personalities within the team emerge, there can be some conflicts. It’s at this stage that it is critical that each team member work out their diffirences and decide to work together as a team to achieve their goals.
- Unity and Cohesion: Once the conflict is over, the team develops a sense of unity. As interpersonal differences are resolved, the team gains more cohesion, roles, responsibilities, and systems evolve and start to run effectively.
- Performance Maturation and Enhancement: At this stage, the team is mature and there is an understanding between individuals. There can still be some problems, but they are resolved constructively. Systems improve, communication and cohesion improves, and the overall performance of the team matures until it reaches its optimal.
- Re-Formation: At the point where the team is running smoothly and it is achieving its goals there is a period of calm. At the point where the KPI’s have been achieved an audit both overt and covert takes place and the team begins to be re-formed. When the workload gets diminished, individuals might be assigned to new teams.
What kind of team development activities are important in the corporate world?
It depends on the growth stages of a team. Considering the stage your team is in, we provide group coaching for team and leadership development. If you’re looking for leadership team development, discuss your needs with us. We have worked with several corporate clients and will be happy to work with your team as well. Our team development activities and coaching sessions will foster a sense of unity in your team.